AP : Security Chief's Resignation Letter

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Security Chief's Resignation Letter

By The Associated Press | October 24, 2007

Text from the resignation letter of Richard Griffin, assistant secretary of state for the Bureau of Diplomatic Security, sent to President Bush and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and dated Oct. 24, 2007, as provided by the State Department:

This month I completed my 36th year of service to our country. I have had the opportunity over these many years to witness uncommon dedication, sacrifice, and valor. I am grateful that I had the opportunity to serve as the assistant secretary for the Bureau of Diplomatic Security whose brave men and women serve on the front lines of the global war on terror. Without their courage and commitment, the State Department could not possibly carry out its foreign policy mission.

As I submit my resignation and move on to new challenges, I do so with the realization that the senior management team that is in place in DS is extremely well qualified to confront the many challenges which lie ahead.

Sincerely,

Richard J. Griffin