The Sun : Terror suspect halts trial again

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Terror suspect halts trial again

By SIMON HUGHES and ONLINE REPORTER | September 19, 2006

TERROR suspect Omar Kyham brought his bomb plot trial to a halt for a second day in a row as he refused to answer questions.

Khyam sat in the dock at the Old Bailey with the six other defendants and refused to enter the witness box.

Yesterday Khyam told the court he did not want to endanger his family back in Pakistan by giving evidence.

He and six other British Muslims are accused of planning attacks on targets including the Bluewater shopping centre in Kent and London’s Ministry of Sound nightclub.

During a five-minute hearing this morning, the judge Sir Michael Astill addressed Khyam, who stood between and male and female dock officer.

He said: “Would you like to leave the dock and resume, please?”

Khyam replied: “No.”

The judge asked: “Is that your final decision?”

Khyam replied: “Yes.”

The gang is alleged to have bought 600 kilos of ammonium nitrate fertiliser to be turned into explosives for the al-Qaeda-linked attacks.

Khyam, 24, admits attending a weapons-training camp in Pakistan where he claimed the country’s Inter-Services Intelligence, known as ISI, gave explosives instruction.

Yesterday Khyam’s barrister Joel Bennathan asked if he helped buy and store the fertiliser in November 2003.

The defendant replied: “Before I go into that topic I just want to say the ISI in Pakistan had had words with my family in Pakistan regarding what I have been saying about them, and I think they are worried about what I may end up revealing about them.

*
Click here to find out more!

“Right now my priority for me is the safety of my family there. As much as I want to go on and clarify matters I am going to stop.”

The surprised barrister asked what he meant by “stop” and Khyam added: “I am not going to discuss anything related to the ISI any more, or my evidence.”

Sir Michael warned Khyam his refusal to give evidence could reflect badly with the jury.

When asked if he understood, Khyam replied: “Yes.”

The trial was adjourned for legal discussions and is due to resume today.

The jury has heard that aluminium powder intended to be mixed with the fertiliser was found at Khyam’s home in Crawley, West Sussex.

Khyam also allegedy talked of blowing up the House of Commons “to take out all the MPs”.

He and co-defendants deny conspiracy to cause an explosion and other charges.

s.hughes@the-sun.co.uk