News 24 : Terror suspect stops testimony

Monday, September 18, 2006

Terror suspect stops testimony

September 18, 2006

London - A man charged with planning terrorist explosions in Britain refused to continue testifying on Monday, saying he feared it would cause difficulties for his family in Pakistan.

"Before we go on to that topic, I just want to say the ISI (the Directorate of Inter-Services Intelligence) in Pakistan has had words with my family relating to what I have been saying about them," said Omar Khyam, 24, the first of the seven defendants to testify at their trial.

"I think they are worried I might reveal more about them, so right now, as much as I want to clarify matters, the priority for me has to be the safety of my family so I am going to stop.

"I am not going to discuss anything related to the ISI any more or the evidence."

Trial adjourned

The trial was adjourned while lawyers conferred about the development.

Khyam, his brother Shujah Mahmood, 19, Waheed Mahmood, 34, Jawad Akbar, 23, Salahuddin Amin, 31, Anthony Garcia, 24, of Ilford, and Nabeel Hussain, 21, deny conspiring to set off explosions likely to endanger life between January 1, 2003 and March 31, 2004.

Khyam, Garcia and Hussain also deny a charge under the Terrorism Act of possessing 600kg of ammonium nitrate fertiliser for terrorism.

Khyam and Shujah Mahmood also deny possessing aluminium powder for the purposes of terrorism.